Carbon Monoxide - The Main Danger of Faulty Boilers

  • Added:
    Jul 30, 2014
  • Article Views:
  • Word Count:
Carbon Monoxide - The Main Danger of Faulty Boilers Photo by Colin Armstrong

Boilers, whether these are electric or gas, have risks associated with them. When the problems of a boiler are ignored, it can become downright dangerous to be in the same building as them. Although we would like to think the biggest threat of an electric heating boiler is the fact it might explode, this is not the case. Exploding boilers are comparatively rare.

What you have to watch out for is carbon monoxide poisoning. Otherwise known as the silent killer, carbon monoxide is a gas produced by all faulty boilers. In this article, we are going to discuss carbon monoxide – how to notice it, and what you should do about it.

What is Carbon Monoxide? : Carbon monoxide is a gas that can be emitted by any boiler running off fossil fuels. This makes practically every household in the UK capable of emitting carbon monoxide. Electric boilers when they give off carbon monoxide are a danger to human health. It only takes a few hours of exposure to suffer permanent damage.

The problem with the gas is you cannot see it and you cannot smell it. You have to search for other signs, including the symptoms in humans.

Is Your Boiler at Risk? : Electric heaters in your home can put you at risk of carbon monoxide exposure. There are no concrete signs as to when you have been exposed to it until you start to notice symptoms in yourself.

What you can do is search for any signs that your boiler is faulty. There are a number of key signs of faulty boilers. Let uslook at the primary ones:

1.The flame is not blue. It is orange or yellow at all times.
2.There are stains above the fuel burning applications. This might also manifest itself as a covering of soot.
3.Any wood or coal fires in your home take ages to burn or they go out frequently.
4.You find it almost impossible to light a fire.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning : When you begin to notice symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, this is the time to seek urgent medical help. It also means you need to turn off the boiler at the mains and call a professional. Your energy provider will have a number you can call, and they will send out an emergency engineer.

These are some of the main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: tiredness, nausea, chest pains, drowsiness, headaches, and dizziness.

Preventing a Build-Up : All boilers must have enough ventilation to function. You need to make sure the flues are not leaking and the chimneys are swept on a regular basis. Poor ventilation can exasperate these problems and lead to human health hazards.

Take note, it is the responsibility of the household to make sure their boiler is well maintained. In rented accommodation, this is the responsibility of the landlord. Complain at the first instance if you believe the boiler requires servicing. If your landlord refuses to help, you have the ability to sue them for negligence. A poorly maintained boiler is a major offense and must be taken seriously.

Author's Profile

Electric Heating Supplies offers electric heaters and boilers to households all over the UK. They never cut corners because they want to make sure customers do not run into boiler problems in the near future.

Please Rate this Article
Poor Excellent